Sunday, June 12, 2011

This Campground Just Plain Confuses Me!



So trying to honor my commitment to blog more this year, I thought that I'd take the time to become perplexed. Not a hard feat to accomplish, but just maybe you can empathize slightly with the paradox that confronts me.

But first, let's go back in time-it's perfectly ok to groan and think "can't he ever make things simple? Does it always have to be the most circuitous way to the point?" Even I think that from time to time, it's just usually after I have already spent multiple hours crafting the most perfectly verbose posting ever, and it just kills me to think of deleting any of it...my how I can drag on!!

So this is the story. We started our camping season in style this year, oh, wait, a little more background before the story unfolds, please bear with me.

Last year, we did ad-hoc camping. It might help if I knew what that was, but since I don't, I'll give the definition I think it should be: "not planning the camping season ahead of time, but rather a few days before the weekend, frantically calling all the good campgrounds in search of availability".

I would usually be pleasantly told "Sorry we're booked solid". Click. I don't think I need to bother you with the disappointment and make-do campgrounds, do I?

So this year, in mid March, I determined to push the envelope and proceeded to list all the places we wanted to camp, and then methodically called them all to reserve. I can't say for certain, but I am starting to think that this could be a little less stressful for me...I know its a revolutionary concept, and might prove too successful. The expectation will now always be there. Oh the pressure!!

Anyway, back to the semi-present. Our first camping trip was Memorial Day Weekend at Saco River Family Camping in North Conway, New Hampshire. The gratuitous disclaimer: we have camped here several times before.

Continuing on to my confusion (because I know that's what you really want anyway)...

The campground itself is a mix of nice and mess, the first conflicting ingredients. How is it that some sites can have well manicured grass while others are a hodge-podge of grass patches, a little sprinkling of gravel and a hefty amount of dirt? The latter being the perfect storm for a bonafide disaster should it rain (which it did). And how is it that we never get the grassy sites?



Add to that the fact that most sites have the obligatory 122 ft long 5th wheels, the huge pickups needed to haul them and because of this, are very close to your site-got the image in mind? And with the huge rigs come the capacity to bring huge amounts of stuff. And they like putting their stuff all over their sites. Now don't get me wrong, we aren't the model of thriftiness when it comes to what we bring either; a pop up tent, grill, bikes, an outdoor stove, clothes line off the back of the Casita, computers, iPads, toasters, collapsable trash cans and the likes. But they have capacity to haul more and they know how to do it!

Did I mention the boom boxes? I think most campers here think that it's a prerequisite to bring a stereo system of some sort, and then play competing music on it-I kid you not. There was a pop station playing in the site next to us, oldies across from us, and the next row over was playing country. Then about 10 trailers down lively celtic music was playing. My wife and I ponder this simple thought: "does everyone think that everyone else wants to listen to THEIR music?" Rhetorical.

So by now, you are wondering what there is to like, right? I know you are thinking "what's confusing? An open and shut discussion! End of story. Boy this guy is thick!" But it's not that easy. Even with the big rigs, the stuff and the unrestrained music, people are still pretty friendly if you are (we are talking New England after all!) and if you don't want to be, they are happy to ignore you. Perfect.

Then there is the campground itself. Apart from a number of dirt sites, the campground has a lot of large, well maintained grassy areas, perfect for exercising a dog or a kid. I do not mean we played fetch with both at the same time, in case that was where you were headed.



Additionally, the campground has, say, almost a half mile (could be a less, didn't measure it) of paved road which is perfect for kids to ride bikes on. Oh, and don't forget nightly tractor rides-a must-as long as it's not me riding!!

The bathrooms are clean, although it appears that the inspiration for the size of the stalls came directly from the oompa loompa's. The showers looked satisfactory as well, however much to our delight, we have never had to use any since we got our Casita. Wait, we didn't camp before-well, that was easy!

They have a nice, heated saltwater pool, that while small for such a large campground, was not overcrowded. It slopes from 1 ft to 7ft in the deep end.



And the reason it's not overcrowded is another big selling point of the campground. It is right on the Saco River. Again, just guessing here, but I wager at least a thousand feet of frontage on the river. You can get inner tubes and walk up to the upper side of the campground and float to the lower side or you can opt to canoe 5 or so miles down the river to the campground. They have canoes you can rent and they will take you to the spot up river where you start from.



And then, to boot, they have Audubon Society trails that start right from the campground. I do not know how long they are because we could not find out; I had to beat down the mosquitos that were trying to airlift my children to their nest or whatever they live in. Yes, they were that bad. The mosquitos, not my kids.

Then, of course, you are in the heart of the White Mountains, within an easy 15 minute drive from the Kancamagus Highway (an incredibly beautiful road through the White Mountain National Forest), and literally a minute away from some pretty dangerous outlet shopping.



So now you are starting to understand why I've scratched nearly all the hair from my head. That's what I like telling myself anyway, takes some of the the sting away from my 7 year old son saying "ah, look at the cute little bald head that my daddy has" when he looks at it. I guess it could be worse-I could actually be bald...back on track, where do these things come from?

On the one hand, the amenities are pretty awesome, on the other hand, the actual camping experience leaves a bit to be desired. We have gone there both this year and in the past because what it offers outweighs the negative-if it must be termed that way.

But for me, it is as clear as "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" I told you it was THAT confusing! Sometimes I hate it and sometimes I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment